Due to events beyond our control, the Marine Mammal Surveyor Sea Safari trip on Tuesday 30th April has now been cancelled.
Unfortunately due to events beyond our control, the Marine Mammal Surveyor Sea Safari trip planned to depart Portsmouth on Tuesday 30th April has now been cancelled.
Just before 04:00 this morning, crew on board Brittany Ferries Pont-Aven were alerted to a fire in the ship’s engine room. The incident occurred while Pont-Aven was sailing through the Bay of Biscay, on its crossing from Plymouth to Santander with a scheduled arrival time of 11:15 this morning. It took place approximately 100 nautical miles south of Brest at the time.
Brittany Ferries crews train regularly to deal with incidents at sea, and the company operates a dedicated fire incident training centre at its St Malo base in France. The crew immediately put this training into action and brought the fire under control.
The ship is carrying 766 passengers with 142 staff and there were no injuries as a consequence of the incident.
The Prefecture Maritime in Brest have been informed and the vessel is now making way - under her own steam - for the port of Brest where comprehensive checks will be carried out. She is expected to arrive at around 16:00 today (29 April 2019).
However, the sailing from Portsmouth to Santander departing on Tuesday 30th April at 17:15 has now been confirmed as being cancelled, and so our trip will no longer be possible. Brittany Ferries have apologised to all passengers affected by this morning’s incident.
ORCA appreciate this is disappointing news, and the team were looking forward to spending time with all of you at sea, monitoring whales and dolphins. We are exploring options for potentially rearranging the trip, but have taken the decision to issue a refund in full for all of your bookings. This will be processed as soon as possible using the card you used to make payment when you booked the trip, and most payments will be received within 3-5 working days (though it may take up to 28 days, depending on your bank).
We are looking into the possibility of rescheduling this trip for later in the year, and once we know more information about the impact on the ships schedule this is something we will be in touch about. In the meantime, we will keep you up to date if there are any further developments, and please do contact us if you have any questions or concerns. We thank you in advance for your understanding and look forward to seeing you all again soon.
The ORCA Team